The holidays are a great time to enjoy time by a warm fire. However, wood burning fireplaces can be extremely dangerous, and can result in a house fire, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Here are some tips to ensure safe use of your fireplace this holiday season.
- Never leave a burning fireplace unattended.
- Have your chimney swept annually, and inspected by a licensed chimney sweep every two years.
- Properly start your fire, and use only dry hardwoods to prevent creosote build-up
- Leave flue open overnight, even if you think the fire is out. Carbon Monoxide can continue to build and most be exhausted out of the house
- Ensure Carbon Monoxide detectors are nearby, and functioning
- Keep roof area and gutters free of leaves, and pine needles, as embers could ignite them
Here is a good article covering more details about safe use of your fireplace from Freshome.com: How To Enjoy Your Fireplace Safely
And lastly, from all of us here at REEF, we hope you have a safe, healthy, and happy holiday season!
Here are some fun decorating ideas for your upcoming or holiday or winter event on Cape Cod! Once you have decided build your dream home on Cape Cod, there is nothing more fun than decorating it for each season. This slideshow from DigsDigs.com has some interesting, yet simple ideas that are a lot of fun! Click here: WINTER DECORATING
Well it is that time of year again, so we figured it might be a good time to give a little advice about home improvements for the holiday season... take a look at this info from On The House http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/20041123